The Breeding API (BrAPI) Project is an effort to create a RESTful specification to enable interoperability among plant breeding databases. The Breeding API specifies a standard interface for plant phenotype/genotype databases to serve their data to crop breeding applications. It is a shared, open API, to be used by all data providers and data consumers who wish to participate.
BrAPI is a very powerful API that caters for a variety of possible use-cases. Here is a list of the ones we have been focusing on during development.
- Genotype Visualization: Pull genotypic data from any BrAPI data source and visualize it using tools like Flapjack.
- Field Data Collection: Using mobile devices to collect field trial data and directly import it into the BrAPI data source.
- R Module: Load data from any BrAPI data source right into R using the BrAPI R module.
- Data Transfer: Move large data sets between BrAPI compliant systems without having to worry about the internal wirings.
- Geographic Visualization: Visualize geographic information about germplasm and trials by plotting the data on a map.
- Search: Search everything! Full-text search, different search parameter combinations - knock yourself out.
Partners include Bioversity International, Boyce Thompson Institute, Cornell University, Nextgen Cassava, GOBii, International Rice Research Institute, The James Hutton Institute, and Cimmyt, among others.
Resources in this dataset:
Resource Title: BrAPI.
File Name: Web Page, url: https://www.brapi.org
Data contact nameMueller, Lukas A.
Data contact email@example.com
- Not specified
ISO Topic Category
National Agricultural Library Thesaurus termsplant breeding; databases; phenotype; genotype; data collection; field experimentation; imports; psychological stress; spatial data; germplasm; application programming interface
Public Access Level